Thursday, February 27, 2014

Chicken Burrito with Peanut Sauce

My favorite restaurant has this dish and I started to wonder if I could make something similar at home...the only problem is that it has a tasty peanut sauce and I was afraid to buy something at the store that wouldn't live up. So my solution was to attempt my own peanut sauce! The recipe I found was easy and I had all of these ingredients at home in my cupboard. The chili paste I had was only 2 dollars from the store and I've used it in a few different dishes, and I think its critical in this dish to get a good level of flavor. Mix all of the peanut sauce ingredients in a food processor and then drizzle in the warm water to get the right consistency. (NOTE: This was the messiest I've ever gotten in my kitchen, there was peanut sauce flying everywhere...I must not be as experienced with my food processor as I thought! It was worth it though!)

The rest of the recipe is pretty easy. Cook the chicken tenders whichever way is easiest for you...I put them on a foil-lined pan and cooked them in the oven for about 10 minutes at 350 degrees. The slaw is also easy to mix together in a bowl and really adds a lot of good "crunch" to the dish. For extra crunch, add some chopped peanuts to the dish too...that's what they do at the restaurant but I didn't have any at home for this replication.

Ingredients
Chicken Tenders
Brown Rice, 1 cup uncooked
1 cup shredded cabbage
1 cup shredded carrots
2 TBS chopped cilantro
1 lime
Tortillas

Peanut Sauce
3/4 cup peanut butter
1/4 cup soy sauce
1 TBS chili paste
Juice of 1 - 2 limes
1/2 cup warm water

1. To make the peanut sauce, add the first four ingredients in a food processor and blend together until smooth. Drizzle in the warm water to get the right consistency for the sauce. Once finished, set aside.


2. Cook chicken tenders in the oven for about 10 minutes at 350 degrees. Remove and set aside.

3. In a medium saucepan, add 2 cups of water and 1 cup of the brown rice. Bring to a boil and then cover and reduce to a simmer until fully cooked. About 30 minutes.

4. In a medium bowl, mix together the shredded cabbage, shredded carrots, chopped cilantro and the juice of one lime. Set aside.

5. When the brown rice is finished cooking, add about 3 TBS of the peanut sauce to the rice and stir to combine.

6. On a warm tortilla, place the brown rice and cooked chicken tenders. Drizzle another TBS of the peanut sauce on the chicken tenders.

7. Top with about 1/4 of the slaw mixture and chopped peanuts if you have them. Enjoy!



No comments:

Post a Comment