Thursday, January 23, 2014

Cous Cous Stuffed Peppers

I was looking for a healthy recipe to add to my new year's resolution recipes...this was the first one I came across that I wanted to add to my recipe box! Its a healthier version of traditional stuffed peppers that have tons of meat, cheese and rice! The cous cous I used was whole wheat and you could really put any combination of vegetables inside the peppers, but I decided to use onions, zucchini and tomatoes. This is a great dish for vegetarians and you could also eliminate the feta cheese to make it vegan. Very yummy and felt good to eat! 

Ingredients
3 Bell peppers, halved and seeded
1 small zucchini, chopped
½ onion, chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
Cherry tomatoes, about 10, halved
1 cup dried Cous Cous
¼ cup feta cheese
½ cup chickpeas
1 15 oz. can tomato sauce
1 TBS. dried Basil
½ tsp. pepper

1. Prepare the cous cous according to the box directions, mine says to boil 1 cup of water with a TBS. of olive oil. Once the water is boiling, add in 1 cup of cous cous and stir. Cover and remove from heat, fluff with a fork after 5 minutes.

2. In a large pot, bring water to a boil. Add in pepper halves and boil for 10 minutes. Remove and set aside. 

3. In a medium saucepan, sauté onions, zucchini and garlic for about 5 minutes. Add in cherry tomatoes and sauté for another 5 minutes. Remove from heat.


4. In a large bowl, mix together cooked cous cous, chickpeas, onions and zucchini mixture, dried Basil, pepper, ½ cup tomato sauce and feta cheese.



5. In a glass baking dish, pour the rest of the can of tomato sauce and placed in finished boiled pepper halves. Fill each pepper with cous cous mixture.


6. I had extra of the cous cous mixture because I could only fit 5 pepper halves in the pan, so I poured the extra cous cous mixture all around the peppers.

7. Cover with aluminum foil and cook in a 350 degree oven for 50 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment