Sunday, January 26, 2014

Slow Cooker Turkey Tacos

In one of my latest cooking magazines, there are a lot of recipes listed for healthy eating after the new year. This was one that I came across that sounded delicious because A) I love ALL Mexican food, B) I've never made tacos in the crock pot, and C) Turkey tacos sounded different and kind of fun. So I threw everything in the crockpot (which took a total of about 8 minutes) and enjoyed these delicious tacos when I got home from work. I had some tomatillos in the fridge so I diced those up to put on top for a "fresh" crunch to the tacos and I will definitely make sure I have those next time I make these too. Although fresh diced tomatoes would also be a nice addition. (By the way...each taco is approximately 360 calories!)

Ingredients
1 15 oz can diced tomatoes, drained
1 green bell pepper, chopped
1/4 cup chopped cilantro
4 scallions, diced
2 TBS. peanut butter
1.5 TBS. soy sauce
1 TBS chili powder
2 tsp. cocoa powder
1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
1 skinless, boneless turkey breast (about 1.5 - 2 lbs.)
Corn or Flour tortillas

Optional: diced tomatillos for the topping

1. Combine in a slow cooker the tomatoes, green pepper, cilantro, scallions, peanut butter, soy sauce, chili powder, cocoa powder and cinnamon. Stir ingredients together.

2. Add the turkey breast and stir everything to coat. Cover and cook on low for 8 hours.

3. When finished, take the turkey breast out and shred in a bowl. Add shredded turkey back into the crockpot to coat with the juices.


4. Serve in warm flour tortillas and top with more cilantro and diced tomatillos or other of your favorite taco toppings.

No comments:

Post a Comment