Thursday, January 17, 2013

Fragrant Fried Rice

I whip this dish together about once every two weeks because I usually have all of the ingredients in my house and if not, I substitute other various vegetables I have on hand. PLUS - my all-time favorite kitchen gadget is my rice maker (thanks to whoever got us that for our wedding!). It makes that sticky rice that you get at asian restaurants...its amazing! I highly recommend it, I think it was less than $20 bucks too so it was a good deal. So the trick is to put the sticky rice in a saute pan with a little vegetable oil, cumin, and soy sauce and it gets all crispy like at a hibachi restaurant. Mmmm so good!

Ingredients:
- 1 cup cooked rice (I like to use jasmine rice)
- 1/2 cup chopped broccoli
- 1/2 cup frozen mixed vegetables
- 1 T. olive oil
- 2 T. chopped cilantro
- 1 t. cumin
- 1 T. vegetable oil
- 4 T. soy sauce

Optional: Usually I just have this as a meatless dish, but sometimes I add some shredded chicken in with the fried rice. Also, if you like eggs in your fried rice, you could add 1 or 2 in with the vegetables while they are cooking.

1. Cut broccoli up and put it in a saute pan with about 1 Tablespoon of olive oil. Cook for a few minutes and then add the mixed frozen vegetables. When frozen vegetables are cooked, add about 2 Tablespoons of the soy sauce and cook for another minute or two.

2. Transfer vegetables to a bowl. In the same pan, add the vegetable oil and the cumin. Immediately add the cooked rice...this give the rice its "fragrance". The rice needs to cook like this for about 4 minutes...it gets crispy on the bottom like fried rice. So yummy!

3. Add the other 2 Tablespoons of soy sauce (or more) to the rice and then flip it over to get crisp on the other side.

4. When rice is crispy, add it to the vegetables and mix all together. Serve with some chicken if you have it. And with crispy rice noodles on top. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment