Wednesday, December 26, 2012

Sausage Sauerkraut Bites

I know I know...right now you're probably saying "Sauerkraut...ewwww!! Scary!!". That used to be me...until I tried these delicious sausage sauerkraut bites. I first got this recipe from my mom and now I make them on New Years Eve because they are so good and I can feel like I'm getting the sauerkraut in! You can make them ahead of time and then heat them up in a 350 degree oven for 10-15 minutes before serving.

Ingredients:
- 16 oz. pork sausage meat
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 jar sauerkraut (32 oz.) drained & pressed dry
- 4 T. bread crumbs
- 6 oz. cream cheese
- 1/2 t. garlic powder
- 1/2 t. pepper
- 4 eggs, beaten
- 1 cup flour
- 1 cup breadcrumbs

*make sure the sauerkraut is drained and pressed dry. I usually put it in a strainer and then squeeze all of the liquid out of it before adding it into the recipe.

1. Cook sausage meat and onion in a medium-high heat pan.

2. When sausage and onion mixture is cooked, mix in a bowl with cream cheese, 4 T. of breadcrumbs, garlic powder, pepper, and sauerkraut. Place in the refrigerator for 2 hours (or more).

3. When refrigerated, shape mixture into balls.

4. Set out three bowls and place the flour in one bowl, eggs in another, and breadcrumbs in the third bowl. Place the balls first into the flour, then the egg mixture, then the breadcrumbs. When coated, place into a medium-high heat pan with olive oil on the bottom.


5. Brown all sides of the sauerkraut bites in the pan. When finished, serve with spicy brown mustard. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment