Sunday, December 23, 2012

Turkey Enchiladas

This year I cooked my first Thanksgiving meal and in my preparation, I turned to my brother for advice. He recommended a 6 pound turkey breast for our Thanksgiving meal for 4 people…what was he thinking?! We had so much f’ing turkey leftover…I can only eat so many turkey sandwiches man!  I was relieved to come across this recipe to use some of my leftovers…Mexican style!

The recipe calls for gravy (Gravy? Did she say gravy?) to put inside the enchiladas to keep the turkey moist. I thought this was crazy…but you have to try it! The turkey was so moist and had that kick of extra flavor. If it’s not that time of year when you have turkey and gravy sitting around…substitute chicken and enchilada sauce for a more traditional enchilada.

Ingredients:
- 3 cups roasted turkey, chopped into small cubes
-  ½ cup gravy
- ½ onion, chopped and sauted
- 1 small can chopped green chiles
- 1 T. cumin
- 1 cup shredded cheese
- ½ jar enchilada sauce

1. In a bowl, mix the chopped turkey, gravy, sauted onion, green chiles, cumin, and a 1/2 cup of shredded cheese.

2. Spoon mixture onto the center of a tortilla and then roll up and place seam side down in a glass casserole dish. With this amount of filling, I was able to make 6 pretty big enchiladas. But if you're using smaller tortillas, you could probably make about 10.

 
3. Pour half a can of enchilada sauce on top of the rolled up tortillas, and top with the other 1/2 cup shredded cheese. Bake for 30-40 minutes at 350.
4. Serve with your favorite spanish rice. Possible toppings: lettuce, chopped tomatoes, sour cream, guacamole.

No comments:

Post a Comment