Sunday, December 30, 2012

Salmon and Wild Rice Chowder

I needed a healthy meal the day after I ate several cookies, handfuls of M&Ms, spinach dip and bread, chips and pretzels and let's not forget the beers I drank too.  In my defense, the beers were berry flavored, so I counted them as my fruit serving for the day! 

I am always looking for ways to spice up salmon, because I love it and it isn't one of my husband's favorites. This chowder has SO MANY tasty fresh ingredients  and the great thing is, you could almost choose any seafood to place in here.  In fact, when I asked hubby what I could do to improve upon the recipe, he recommended using shrimp instead.  Next time, he can make the damn meal!


Ingredients

1 Tablespoon butter
1/2 cup red onion, chopped
1/2 cup red pepper (I buy a jar of red and yellow peppers and just use those)
1 cup fresh or frozen green beans, cut into 1-inch piece
1-1/2 teaspoons dill weed (haha...what a dill weed!)
Salt and Pepper to taste (if you like spicy, some Cajun seasoning may be good too)
3 cups low-sodium chicken broth
1 cup cooked wild rice (I keep a bag of wild rice in the freezer, and just pull out what I need)
12-ounces skinless salmon fillets, cut into 1-inch pieces
Cooked bacon, crumbled (I had some left over from breakfast, so I just threw it in. Like  
                                                  Corinne, bacon makes everything taste better!)

Thickening:
2 Tablespoons flour
1/2 cup fat free half & half (could use milk instead)

1.  Melt better in large saucepan over medium heat.  Add onion, red/yellow pepper and green beans.  Cook and stir for 5 minutes.  Stir in dill, salt and pepper.  Pour in broth and bring to a simmer. 

2.  Add wild rice and salmon to saucepan.  Reduce heat to low; cover and simmer 6 to 8 minutes or until salmon flakes easily when tested with fork.  (If using shrimp, you might not want to cook as long, so the shrimp doesn't get too tough).  Throw in bacon if desired.

3.  In a separate small bowl, whisk flour into half-n-half until all the lumps are gone.  Stir into chowder to thicken.   

YUMMY!

No comments:

Post a Comment