Sunday, May 26, 2013

Barbecue Chicken with Corn Bread Topper

I have been making some new dishes lately in hopes to blog them, but a few of them haven't turned out the best, and I didn't want to blog a failed recipe (I can't stand the rejection).  I found this recipe in a Diabetic Cookbook magazine that I receive every other month.  It seemed like a good idea because I had most of the ingredients, including some cooked chicken in the freezer and I was too lazy to go to the grocery store.  

Now, the actually recipe calls for part of this to be microwaved, but that seemed lame, plus I poured everything in a metal casserole dish, so that wouldn't have been wise.  The reason I'm boring you with this whole microwave part is, I cooked it in the oven, but didn't cover it...so it was a little dry.  So, for that part of the recipe, I would cover with foil and maybe even throw in some chicken broth to help moisten.  I'm just trying to help you to not fail.  ;-)

Ingredients
1-1/2 pounds diced cooked boneless [skinless] chicken
1 can [15 oz] red beans, rinsed and drained
1 Cup chopped green bell pepper
1 can [8 oz] tomato sauce
1/2 cup BBQ sauce
1 package [6 oz] corn bread mix (plus ingredients to prepare mix)

1.  Spray microwavable 8-inch baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.  

2.  Combine chicken, beans, bell pepper, tomato sauce and BBQ sauce.  Mix well and pour in baking dish.  
   *Now here you can either 
     1) cover with waxed paper and microwave @ 70% power for 8 minutes (stirring half way through) , or 
     2) cover with foil and bake in a 300 degree oven for 20 minutes

 3.  Meanwhile, prepare corn bread mix according to package directions.  Spoon batter over chicken mixture.  Bake 15-18 minutes @ 375 degrees (uncovered) or until toothpick inserted into center of cornbread layer comes out clean.    




No comments:

Post a Comment