Sunday, May 12, 2013

Black Bean Burgers

I discovered how much I like black bean burgers when I first joined Weight Watchers.  I like the store-bought frozen brand, but was looking for a recipe I could make at home and keep in the freezer.  If you want them more spicy, I suppose you could add some hot peppers in the mix as well.

I double this recipe and freeze the burgers.  They are great thrown on the grill when you want a meatless meal.  I take them in my lunch sometimes with grilled vegetables or rice instead of a bun.  

INGREDIENTS (makes 4 patties)
1 can Black Beans, drained and rinsed (set 1/4 cup aside)
1/2 cup green onion, chopped
3/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
1 egg, beaten
1/3 to 1/2 cup seasoned bread crumbs
1/4 cup ketchup or BBQ sauce
1/2 teaspoon Chile Powder
1/2 teaspoon Cumin
1/2 teaspoon onion powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper

1.  Use a potato masher to smash the beans.  
2. Add all other ingredients, including the 1/4 cup beans you set aside, mix well



3.  Form into patties and cover.  Place them in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes to firm

4.  Cook on grill about 5 minutes each side or fry in a large skillet lightly greased.

4.  Serve on a bun with onion and avocado if desired.

No comments:

Post a Comment