Thursday, May 9, 2013

Broccoli & Cheese Casserole

I originally tried this recipe at one of my friend's house and loved it! I repeatedly asked her for the recipe (just kidding, I only asked twice) and finally decided it was time to try it out on my own. The only problem...the recipe was so hard to follow! I don't know what she was thinking (or drinking) when she typed it up but it gave little direction on how to actually assemble the dish. No worries, I tackled the recipe anyways and made it easier for all of you! The recipe she gave me called for rice instead of the orzo pasta...but I didn't have rice in my house for some reason so I swapped out the rice for orzo and it worked out great. Either would be good, but we really liked it with the pasta. This casserole tastes like broccoli cheese soup and was a big hit at our house. You could also add some cornflakes or french fried onions to the top of the casserole to make it a little crunchier.

Ingredients
1 box frozen chopped broccoli, thawed
1 8 oz. package velveeta cheese
1 can cream of mushroom soup
1 cup dried orzo pasta
1 cup chopped onion
1/2 cup milk

1. Thaw the frozen broccoli in a microwavable dish and set aside.

2. Cook 1 cup dried orzo pasta (or 1 cup rice) in boiling water, drain and set aside.

3. In a skillet, add the chopped onion and saute until tender.

4. When the onions are almost finished, add the can of soup, milk, and velveeta cheese (cut the cheese into slices so it will melt easier).

5. Gradually stir the mixture on medium heat until everything is blended and cheese is fully melted.

6. In a large bowl, mix together broccoli, cooked orzo pasta and the soup/cheese/onion mixture.

7. Place mixture in a casserole dish and cook at 350 degrees for 30 minutes.



(Optional: In the last 5 minutes of cooking, add some cornflakes or french fried onions to the top of the casserole for added crunch)

No comments:

Post a Comment