Sunday, February 10, 2013

Cous Cous Salad

I was looking around for something different to take to a summer picnic last year and I sort of invented this recipe from a few other recipes that I saw online. I wanted something light and refreshing, unlike the usual potato salad crap! I know, I'm weird and I don't like mayonnaise which cuts out like half of the stuff we usually eat at summer picnics. This dish is so refreshing and healthy, I usually make this big batch and take the leftovers in my lunch all week. It has a lot of flavor with the balsamic dressing and the crunchy vegetables. Definitely a great alternative to the usual heavy side dishes.

Ingredients:
2 cups whole wheat dried cous cous
1 cup diced red pepper
1 cup diced cucumber
1/2 cup feta cheese
1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
1/4 cup olive oil
1 tsp. dried oregano
1 tsp. dried basil
Salt & Pepper

1. Cook 2 cups of dried cous cous according to box directions. Mine says boil 2 cups of water and 1 Tablespoon of olive oil and then remove from heat, add in 2 cups of cous cous and cover. Let stand for 5 minutes and then fluff with a fork.
2. Cut red pepper and cucumber into small cubes and place into a bowl.
(This photo taken by my sis, the photography major! So pretty, thanks Kels!)

3. Add cooled cous cous to the vegetables. Make sure cous cous is cooled, you can place it in the refrigerator if you are pressed for time. Just don't add the hot cous cous to the raw vegetables, you do not want to cook the vegetables.

4. In a small bowl, mix balsamic vinegar, olive oil, oregano, basil and a dash of salt and pepper. Mix together with a fork or whisk.

5. Add balsamic dressing to the cous cous and vegetables and stir. Lastly, add in the 1/2 cup of feta cheese. Serve cold!

No comments:

Post a Comment