Thursday, February 28, 2013

Sausage, Tomato & Cheddar Breakfast Casserole

Our family has a good breakfast casserole recipe and that’s usually the “go-to” when I have people over for brunch, but I wanted to look for something a little different and I found this recipe that uses tomatoes, sausage, bread and cheese….seriously, what could be better?? I invited a few of my friends over to be my test-dummies (they totally don’t mind!) and this recipe was a big hit! We only had one little corner piece left after breakfast…and I think it was because no one wanted to be the jerk who took the last portion of casserole (myself included). The bread really makes this dish, it’s so crispy and crunchy and combined with the sausage and tomatoes, it really is a great way to mix up your usual breakfast casserole.

I think the key is to make sure your bread is a little bit stale. I bought a fresh loaf of French bread on Friday from the bakery and by the time I made this casserole on Sunday, the loaf was slightly stale and hard. It soaks up the egg mixture, but it doesn’t get soggy.

Ingredients:

- 1 lb. ground italian sausage, cooked and crumbled
- 3 cups sharp cheddar cheese
- 4 cups cubed french bread
- 2 (14 oz.) cans of diced tomatoes, drained
- 4 green onions, thinly sliced
- 6 eggs
- 1 1/2 cups whipping cream
- T. dried basil
- t. garlic powder
- t. dried oregano
- Salt & Pepper
- Sprinkle of parmesan cheese

1. Brown sausage in a pan.
2. In a large bowl mix together cheese, tomatoes, green onions, basil, oregano, powder and cooked sausage.
3. Fold in the bread cubes. Place mixture in a greased 9 x 13 in. pan.

4. In a small bowl, whisk together eggs, whipping cream, salt and pepper.
5. Pour egg mixture over the casserole dish. Sprinkle the top with parmesan cheese.
6. Bake at 350 for 50 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment