Sunday, February 24, 2013

Spaghetti Squash

Until this blog post, I’ve never made spaghetti squash but it was always something I wanted to try. So, for the sake of the blog, I tested it out and it turned out really well! Recently, I’ve been trying to incorporate more vegetarian dishes into my repertoire because:

1)      Meat is freakin’ expensive people! What do you think I’m made of money?! Newsflash – I don’t make millions for serving up sassy recipes to you every week. $8.00 chicken breasts v. $2.00 spaghetti squash…I know my choice.
2)      I like to trick my husband into believing he’s had a fully satisfying dinner without having had any meat. He used to be one of those guys that was like “OMG I need to eat meat with every meal, are you crazy woman?!” and now he’s all “Can I please take these spaghetti squash leftovers to work for lunch?”
3)      Personally, I just feel healthier when I can incorporate as much vegetables into my diet as possible. I like substituting certain vegetables in the place of meat so that my dinner is not only inexpensive, but feels healthier to eat.

So this dish definitely met all of my criteria for a good meal: inexpensive, easy, tasty, and my husband loved it. He really did ask to have the leftovers and requested that we have this dish again soon! Mission accomplished!

Ingredients:

- 1 medium sized spaghetti squash
- 2 T. butter
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1/4 cup shaved parmesan cheese
- Salt & pepper

1. Place the spaghetti squash on a baking sheet. Pierce it a few times with a knife and place it in the oven at 375 degrees for 1 hour.

2. Once spaghetti squash is ready, take it out of the oven and cut it in half. Scoop out the seeds.

3. With a fork, separate all of the strands from the squash...they look like spaghetti!

4. At this point you could really treat the squash just like your favorite spaghetti dish. I melted 2 Tbs. of butter in a pan and diced up two garlic cloves.

5. Once the butter is melted, add the spaghetti squash to incorporate.

6. When ready to serve, shave some parmesan on top of the squash.

No comments:

Post a Comment